Ebusco is introducing a new generation of CSS charging sockets for electric vehicles with its supplier Phoenix. This socket is able to charge up to 500 Amps with HPC (High Performance Charging) technology.
With this new technology, electric buses can be charged in a short time and very cost effectively.
This is great news for e-buses that need to drive > 350 km a day, or e-buses that need some extra battery capacity for electrical heating at low outside temperatures.
Ebusco has always believed in and focussed on depot charging. In the Netherlands, +/- 65% of all public transport buses are able to drive the whole day without recharging*. However, with this new technology even the other 35% can also keep on driving all day, without requiring investment in new infrastructure such as opportunity charging systems in the streets. This saves time (in terms of permits, hardware and hours of work) and money (infrastructure investment and maintenance) and avoids complaints from residents.
It’s easy: just install chargers in your depot(s) and all the buses can drive their daily routes as usual. Most buses will only need to be charged during the night (which is also cheaper due to the night rate) and the other buses can visit the depot maybe one extra time a day for a fast charge.
This new technology enables considerable savings in time and money in the electrification of bus fleets.
CCS (Combined Charging System)
*source (in dutch): https://www.crow.nl/over-crow/nieuws/2020/juni/ruim-een-derde-busvloot-minder-makkelijk-te-elektr